Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Easy Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

I made these very yummy pumpkin whoopie pies for Bunco last night and they were a big hit. I thought I would share the recipe here for anyone who is interested. I didn't add the orange food coloring of the jack-o-lantern faces, because I'm boring.

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

PREP TIME 30 Min

  • TOTAL TIME 50 Min
  • SERVINGS 16
Cookies
1
box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® spice cake mix
1
cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)
1/2
cup butter, softened
1/4
cup milk
1
egg
1
teaspoon Betty Crocker® orange gel food color
Filling
1/4
cup butter or margarine, softened
4
oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese, softened
1 1/2
cups powdered sugar
1/2
teaspoon maple extract
1
tube (4.25 oz) Betty Crocker® black decorating icing
1
tube (4.25 oz) Betty Crocker® green decorating icing
  • 1 Heat oven to 375°F. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray. In large bowl, beat cookie ingredients with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Using (2 tablespoon-size) ice cream scoop, drop batter 2 inches apart onto cookie sheets. With damp hands, gently smooth out dough.
  • 2 Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until set. Cool 5 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 15 minutes.
  • 3 In medium bowl, beat 1/4 cup butter and the cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until blended. Stir in maple extract.
  • 4 For each pie, spread about 1 generous tablespoon filling on bottom of 1 cooled cookie. Top with second cookie, bottom side down; gently press cookies together.
  • 5 Using black decorating icing, pipe jack-o’-lantern faces. Using green decorating icing, pipe jack-o’-lantern stems on tops of pies
My tip is that the size of the dough will be the size of the cookie. So unless you want huge whoopie pies I wouldn't do the Tbsp. they suggest.

This post has to have set some sort of record for the most uses of the word Whoopie in one blog post. So, Whoopie for me I'm a record breaker.
Thanks for reading.
P.S. the picture is a link to the original recipe, it's from Betty Crocker if you couldn't guess.

3 comments:

Shonya said...

Yay!! Thanks so much for sharing--they were really, really good (and I'm excited about your "easy" comment wink). I'm looking forward to making these for my family, I just know the kids will like them as much as I did! (There sure was a lot of good food last night, and it was fun to eat a meal that I didn't make! ha)

Finding Joy in the Journey said...

Thanks for the recipe - totally sad I missed them!

Shonya said...

Huuuuuuuuuuuuge hit! My family totally loves them and I have to buy another spice cake mix today to make them again. Just thought I'd let you know. :)