Monday, December 1, 2008

My Favorite Christmas Things

Like I'm Oprah and you care what my favorite's are. But, hey, it's my blog so I get to pretend that you do care. I have this image in my head of everyone getting really excited like they do for Oprah's favorite things. No? Nobody out there is on the edge of their seat waited for me to regale them with a list of my sentimental Christmas favorites. Well to bad your going to hear/see them anyway. Unless of course you close this right now. Oh, please don't do that I so want to share them with you.

  • The Avon Christmas record (and yes I mean record, like the kind you play on a turntable.) My mom use to play this every year while we decorated. It's still the standard that I judge all other Christmas cds by. These songs just mean Christmas to me. I love thinking about how much fun we had decorating when I was a kid.

  • Pumpkin Roll. Made by mom and fought over by my entire family. She only makes them at Christmas time and they are so good. At many family gathering me and several of my cousins will eat a piece before dinner just to make sure we get some. It goes fast.

  • Martina McBride's White Christmas CD. It's no Avon Christmas but I do really love it. Her voice is so pretty. Now I play it every year while I decorate, maybe someday these songs will be what Levi associates with Christmas.

  • I've talked about my Jim Shore Nativity in a previous post but it's worth another mention here. You can't see all the detail in the picture and that's what really makes it special. The wise men have the whole story on their robes.
  • Rudolph, Steve and I watch each year to see how early they start playing it. I haven't seen it yet this year they need to get on it. I love that it looks like it was made in someones basement in the 50s it just adds to the nostalgia and memories. We watch all those old cartoons but this one is my favorite.


  • Multi Color Globe lights. Sadly I can't find replacement bulbs for my strand anymore and my have to move on to new ones. I love big light bulbs. I don't know why it just seems more festive.

  • Now for a modern favorite. I use to listen to this station when we lived in Washington. Now starting the day after Thanksgiving I listen to it on my computer at work. They play all Christmas music from the day after Thanksgiving till Christmas. I love it. I added the link in case anyone else can listen on their computer.

Okay that's all I can think of right now. Please leave comments with some of your favorites I forgot. Happy Holidays everybody. I watched "White Christmas" this weekend that's a favorite too. Sorry I just thought of it thought I'd tack it on the end.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Andrea Frederick said...

I also love and covet your mom's pumpkin roll. One of my favorite things about Christmas is giving a gift I am truly excited about. I am totally psyched to give you your gift this year...YAY!

Bree Shaw said...

rudolph is my all time favorite christmas movie. i used to watch it when i was a kid and i still watch it every year. i would say christmas vacation is another one of my favs. i love getting together with family and the exchange of presents. i love to give and could care less if i get anything! i do love to open up my presents from the boys. they put a lot of hard work into their gifts they give me. i love it!!!!

Bree Shaw said...

oh yeah, i can finally read your blog without having to close it out every 2 sentences and re open it to only get 2 more lines read. but you should know that i did read every one of your posts no matter how long it took me to do it:) so if you changed something, thx. if you didn't, well thx anyway!